St. Paul’s Choir’s School is an academically-excellent, highly selective, Catholic day school for boys grades 4-8 in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA. The challenge the boys experience in choral singing and in their studies help them gain maturity and self-discipline, equipping them to excel as they continue on to prestigious high schools and colleges, and later, in their careers. Wherever our boys go, each cherishes his memories of singing the world’s great choral music in a beautiful location, with like-minded friends. The Choir School experience is life changing.
- The St. Paul’s Choir School choir is modeled on the European tradition of choir schools which support the famous choirs, consisting of both men and boys. Professional singers from Boston’s rich music field sing with the boys on Sundays, and as they perform a daily schedule of liturgical singing, performing in concerts, and engaging in tours and recordings.
- The Choir performs during the academic year, from mid-September to mid-June, and sings at Mass daily, Tuesday-Sunday. Additionally, the Choir performs a number of concerts throughout the year at nearby parishes, at weddings and funerals, and in conjunction with other choirs who travel to the Boston area. In recent years, the Choir has performed with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Boston Lyric Opera, the Vienna Boys Choir, and the Harvard Glee Club, and for audiences in New York, Washington, DC, and at the Vatican.
- The boys are divided into two choirs; the Trebles (who are in training) in grades four and five, and the Choristers, who make up the main Choir and who act as the public face of the Choir School. Older boys whose voices are changing and must rest their developing adult voices engage in an extended musical and academic curriculum.
- Class size is small, with a maximum of 12 students per grade, so students receive individual attention and are taught to their strengths and enthusiasms, allowing for the achievement of maximum academic success. Each boy receives a rigorous education in all academic subjects, including mathematics, science, English/language arts, history/social studies, French, Latin, and Religion. Each boy also conducts an in-depth study of piano and music theory, and is offered the chance to sing in a range of school ensembles.
- Choir School boys have received admission to prestigious secondary schools, including: Belmont Hill School, Boston College High School, Boston Latin School, Boston University Academy, Catholic Memorial School, Philips Andover Academy, Portsmouth Abbey School, The Roxbury Latin School, St. Sebastian’s School, and Xaverian Brothers High School – many boys receive generous scholarships and financial assistance. Many Choir School alumni continue distinguished academic study at Boston College, Boston University, Harvard University, Princeton University, The Juilliard School, Yale University and other prestigious colleges and universities.
- Tuition is $6,800 annually.
- Admission to St. Paul’s Choir School is by audition. We offer rolling admission to incoming 4th graders. We accept academically able boys with a promising musical ear. For more information or to schedule an audition, please contact Mr. John Robinson, Music Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (617) 868-8658 x319.
Take the First Step – Admissions Inquiry Form